"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Monday 12 December 2011

Nativity in art

Since my last post I have been trying to find an image which I seem to remember, but can't find, of a manger with the light pouring onto it as if it is the focal point of all of earth and heaven. In hunting for it I realised how much I was enjoying all the multitude of interpretations of the nativity scene, and I thought I would put a few here for you also to enjoy. If you know another amazing one which you love, tell me about it! I'm afraid my comments are not those of an art critic - I probably should read up about these paintings - but I am just airing my reactions to them. 



I love this one (by Duccio) because of the tiny ox and ass peeking over. But more because of the ranks of angels, gazing down, gazing up to God, and having a chat about what they are seeing. 

 I like Chagall's because the cross is also there, and you can almost feel Mary's heart hurting.


 Rembrandt's shows the atmosphere of the stable so well - if it was a stable - although it definitely looks like a Dutch barn here - which is to be expected. But I love how the light glows out from Jesus and how the faces are all turned on him, and the atmosphere is hushed.

 I love this style of Rennaissance painting, with the beautiful city in the background. I love the angels on the roof of the stable. This painting seems full of peace to me. Everyone seems to be waiting quietly for events to unfold.


This one was (apparently) painted by Gari Melchers, in 1891. It conveys the exhaustion of both Mary and Joseph, but especially Mary. It is a much more human telling of the story, but the mystery is retained in the light emanating from the baby.



You just do not find many African depictions of the Nativity, apart from the beautiful wooden and stone carved sets. This one is by a British artist called Brian Whelan, painted "in a Uganda setting." Spot the crowned crane, fish eagle, palms, and geckos. I do like it.




Um, this one I included because of its strangeness, to me at least. Can anyone enlighten me?





No comments:

Post a Comment