"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Thursday 17 November 2011

Harriet Nalugo



I saw on facebook today the terribly sad news that Harriet Nalugo died yesterday. She was assistant class teacher in earlier years for both Abigail and Alex at Ambrosoli, and was a friend to them ever since. She exchanged emails with them a few times.

Harriet was fun, vivacious, bright, and smart. She was one of those teachers the children always wanted to invite to their birthday parties, and she always came, arriving on the back of a boda boda, legs sticking out, smart high heels dangling jauntily down. She had left Ambrosoli a few years ago to work in another school, but would visit her former school fairly often, so we still saw her from time to time. I was really pleased that she happened to be at Ambrosoli one day not long before we left, so that I was able to say goodbye.

Unbelievable to see that she has died. It has brought our Ugandan life suddenly close to me again. I wish I could be there to mourn with others who knew her.

Does God really take the brightest and the best? Today it surely seems like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment