"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Friday 6 April 2012

Good Friday thoughts


To be honest this Lent I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about Good Friday. And I haven't given anything up, in fact, I have been letting myself be quite self-indulgent, especially with the Dairy Milk Chocolate...

Usually in the past, a lot of my pre-Easter thinking has been wondering how Jesus felt about his upcoming death, how he could do it, what it took for him to accept that path and allow it to happen, how he anticipated the pain, and how he felt about the humiliation and nakedness, and whether knowing it would be just for one day helped (as in a woman anticipating labour). This year when I began to think about it at the start of this week, I realised I couldn't put my mind into that place this year. It was too hard. So then I thought, shall I mentally take this Easter off?, as I pretty much have done with Lent. But then I thought, maybe I don't need to put myself into Jesus' place, maybe that's the wrong thing to be doing anyway. Jesus didn't ever expect me to die in public for the whole world. (Well, probably not.)

So in church this morning at a lovely service we went to at Trinity Cheltenham, I decided just to be in front of the Cross and be thankful for it.

That is why when I looked at some images of the crucifixion this afternoon, I loved this one I have posted, because my eyes are immediately drawn to the women, almost throwing themselves on the foot of the Cross.

But really, thank goodness for the Resurrection! I'm looking forward to Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment