"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Sunday 27 May 2012

In praise of the sun...

We have had THREE DAYS IN A ROW of hot sunshine. Temps in the high 70s and even 80. The sky has been blue, there has been a warm wind, - and I feel so normal. I had to pull out my summer clothes (ie, Uganda clothes!) from the basket where they had been well hidden for the last seven months. I remember saying in Uganda how we never got to change our wardrobes as we wore the same things all year round. Here, clothes get completely forgotten about in the course of a season, and yesterday I was caught by surprise as I found t-shirts and sleeveless tops I had forgotten I had bought. Mostly second-hand in Owino Gold... But nice summery light clothes! The last time I wore the t-shirt I am wearing now was when we went chimp-trekking in Kibale Forest...

The warmth on the skin and light in the eyes makes me feel so different, yet so normal - this feels like the real me, in my sunglasses, with my arms getting brown.

But how can the weather make so much difference? How can it affect my state of mind SO much? Isn't that a bad thing? Is there anything in the Bible about that? And, how will I face next autumn and winter now I know how much better I feel in spring and summer? I am actually dreading the onset of autumn already! I am seriously considering getting one of those sun-lamps.

Sun I need you!






1 comment:

  1. love the pictures!! i'm very effected by sunlight too-
    thank you for your words the other day- they were well timed. driving to ambrosoli with just our family will be an endeavor- still trying to find the work/ life balance- which is esp hard with zoe and her unpredictability. i also often feel guilty for not being involved in UCU yet. anyway- you know. :)

    ReplyDelete