"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Monday 2 July 2012

The thin ice revisited...

Thinking back over my previous post, I felt that the metaphor I used about walking on thin ice for eleven months was not quite right, as it sounds ungrateful to all those who were there for us and helped us through that time. Let alone, to God who looked after us. We did have many one-off gifts from churches and individuals, and the offer of help from family, and, help from family. Our bank balance never even got scary over the time, it kind of stayed at a certain level. My job was also a gift which helped us keep going.

I know my problem - my security is too much based in human things. My faith is in a salary, a home, paid bills, a plan, school places for the children, good relationships with parents, colleagues and friends.
Like I was saying before about Jonah, my security really needs to be in God. O ye of little faith.

I hope that I have learned a bit more faith through this experience. I think I feel less anxious about the future, that I know everything is in hand, someone is looking after us... Someone with a better plan than mine. Someone who knows a lot more than me.

We were walking over a long long lake of ice, but we had boats nearby. And maybe also what I needed to learn was that, the lake was never very deep after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment