"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Monday 24 September 2012

One Thousand Gifts

If you ever look at the Shelfari graphic over on the right and down a bit, you might have noticed that a book has been sitting there for ages: One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.

I am finally reading it, and I am so glad I am.

A while ago I asked a Christian friend how to avoid allowing my emotions to be battered around by my circumstances. Her answer, which sounded a bit too simple at the time, was, be thankful. Be thankful to God for the good things.

In this book, Ann Voskamp asks the questions, How can we live fully in the now, in the present, whatever the circumstances? How can we live fully in the life we have been given, rather than wishing for  other things? How can we live fully so that we are fully ready to die? These are good questions. She lost her sister in a horrible accident, and lived for years with some depression, and shares her experience of learning to live fully even with the grief and memories.

She writes how she discovered that the Greek word eucharisteo (thanks) has at its roots two related words, charis which is grace or gift, and chara which is joy. Thankfulness comes from accepting the gifts, and it gives joy. Sounds so simple.

I am still in the first few chapters, - but I thought I would share the idea she was given, which led to a deep change in her state of mind: someone challenged her to write a list of a thousand things she loves.
I have immediately decided to do the same. She says just writing the list made her happy. She wrote a few things a day. I don't yet know how long it took her, whether she finished it, or anything else, because I have only just got to this part. But I love the idea.

I'll tell you how I get on.






1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosie!
    I read the book last year, right after it came out, and really enjoyed it. You might also like her blog, www.aholyexperience.com. I love it.
    I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with the book.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete