"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Monday 8 August 2011

A Good Day...

After feeling all adrift last night, I have had a great day - what a relief.

Things I have accomplished today:
Set up electricity and water supply, via lengthy phone calls...
Had table and chairs and washing machine delivered to the house...
Had washing machine connected by a kind friend who also helped me assemble an incredibly heavy futon...
Did first big grocery shop for when the rest of the family arrives...
Figured out how to work our boiler and water heater (thanks to same useful friend!)
Read the local Gloucester newspaper, called "The Citizen..."
Visited Redcliffe College, where we hope to work, and reconnected with several old friends on staff there.
Skyped with Dan and the children... missing them
Chatted on FB with Karen Scully in Mukono... missing them too!

Things I am undoubtedly loving about being back in England:
Speaking on the phone with my parents and friends without having to be as brief as possible...
Having power on the whole time - STILL a treat!! I hear it is awful in Uganda at the moment and I do really feel for you all there.
Driving along past smooth green fields, in a smooth car, on a smooth road, with a selection of radio channels which all work...
Seeing blackbirds and swallows swooping in and out of the hedges, and watching a wild bunny hopping along a lane ahead of me yesterday...
Going to church in jeans on Sunday!! It felt so naughty, but in fact it is normal here! Met a lady at church who was a Crosslinks missionary for 31 yrs in East Africa - I knew of her but had never met before.
Walking down the alcohol aisle in the supermarket, deciding whether or not to buy a bottle of sherry. As it happens, I didn't, but... I am allowed to!
Maybe these novelties will wear off, but for now, they are good.

Thank you Lord for a good day.

1 comment:

  1. keep writing girl.....I'll read them all! God Bless! -karen Scully

    ReplyDelete