"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Sunday 7 August 2011

One Week In...

So after one week, how are things going? Hmmm.... Maybe I should make two lists: things I am thankful for, and other things...

Thankful...
I am glad to be here a few days before my family, so that I can concentrate on getting jobs done without having to cook for them and entertain the children...  It is good to be a "free agent" for a few days. Missing them but... It has been beautiful weather and the English countryside looks green and peaceful. I have been well looked after by my parents who came up to help me clean up the house, and tidy up the (albeit titchy)garden, and by Rob and Sarah Hay who I am staying with. Haven't had to do any cooking yet...! I LOVE our new car, which we were able to purchase before we moved back - a bright blue Renault Meghane which has grreat acceleration, is smooth, has a good radio and air-conditioning which works!! I am SO thankful that Deon and Beth GAVE me furniture including a fridge-freezer and two single beds from their furniture business. The washing machine is being delivered tomorrow...

Adrift...
With still so much to do before I can relax... like phone all the utilities companies, get Alex's school sorted, send out my cv, sign up for child benefit, etc... I still feel more nervous and detached from reality, than happy. It feels as though I am playing an elaborate game of "setting up house". But at times it feels like a really bad idea and I want to run to the airport and escape! I feel detached, and somehow like a boat adrift trying to throw out a few mooring lines at random. I am looking forward to feeling a sense of stability but it hasn't arrived yet... I went this weekend to visit my middle brother and his family in their new home near Guildford - they only moved in three weeks ago. It is a beautiful house with amazing gardens. But I realised that their being in a new house and new area which they don't know very well yet, added to my sense of being lost at sea. I haven't cried yet but I feel as though I am running on adrenalin, and I am getting really tired. I did buy my first bar of Cadbury's chocolate earlier - sounds like it is time to crack it open, - that and a cup of tea... 



No comments:

Post a Comment