"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Seasons are all very well but

When I remembered the joys of sunshine and warmth on your skin, when summer started (not that it ever came to much!), when the light grew brighter and I realised how much I had missed it for all those darker months, I already began to feel a teeny worm of dread for the winter to come, the one that lay ahead. So I was taken by surprise when, as the air felt suddenly cooler and leaves began to blow around, that I was actually a bit excited about the change of season. The Bramley apples growing again in our garden, mulberries on a massive tree in the college grounds, leaves turning to red orange and brown, pulling cosy scarves out of the drawer ... OK change is not so bad after all.

But, there are a couple of things I could do without. One is the horrible cough and cold which all of the family have got. I seem to have it worst at the moment. My voice has gone away to nothing. And I am coughing like a dirty old man. My throat is itchy and sore at the same time. Poor me!

The other annoying thing is the way our car steams up. I have noticed it is worse than other cars, and I have discovered that Renaults have a quirk in the air conditioning which means that water gets stuck in it and makes the car fog up. Last winter we kept a towel in the car and had to wipe the windows down every time we got in. This year I have bought a dehumidifier for the car, which is like a fat cushion which absorbs moisture - so far it has worked well.

But, in the spirit of counting a thousand gifts, this post is not going too well... Later in Ann Voskamp's book "A Thousand Gifts" you find out with her that we have to thank God for the "ugly-beautiful" things as well, knowing that all of it is God-given and that he has a plan and loves us. So said with gritted teeth, "Thanks for colds and thanks for fogged-up windows... but yuk!"

A couple of seasonal things I have listed though:
Purple bobbles of blackberries and red ovals of rose hips growing in the tangly hedges.
The Cathedral bells ringing in the dusk from the heart of the city.
The sound of wind caught in an oak tree in an autumn lane.




No comments:

Post a Comment