"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Mum and Winter

This is actually Abby writing today. Mum wanted someone to write something, so I volunteered.

I thought I would write about Mum in Winter. There are lots of things Mum would like to do instead of facing the cold outdoors.
1. Hibernate like a little animal.
2. Grow a big, fluffy coat like Frodo.
3. Stay in bed and drink a few hundred cups of tea.
4. Curl up by a fire like a cat.
5. Migrate to Uganda for the Winter, like a bird.

She cannot seem to enjoy Winter. In fact, technically it isn't even Winter yet, and she is wearing about fifteen layers. Me and Alex said that if she wore all her warm clothes now when it is still autumn weather, then when it gets freezing she won't have any warm clothes left, and she will be really cold.
She said that she wouldn't wear all her clothes, but she has failed. She is even wearing a huge fluffy hat which Frodo thinks is a dead rabbit.

Last Winter she spent too much time worrying about was the cold, and she said that she would try to enjoy it this year, but when I asked everybody what they were looking forward to about Winter Alex said: ice skating, Dad said: All the jolly people doing Christmas shopping, I said: snow, (I don't think Frodo really cares as long as he gets a walk) But Mum said: wearing jumpers and lighting the fire. She obviously isn't jumping for joy at the thought of sledging and snowball fights.

It's a bit ironic that she is the only one that grew up in this dreary English weather, and she is the only one complaining now.
It is my mission to make her enjoy this Winter.

(And it doesn't help that the heating has broken down...)




3 comments:

  1. Well done, Abby! Have you thought of writing more often? I love your closing observation! Enjoy some snow for me, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Abby! I think you should guest post more often or maybe even start your own blog. Miss you all- Love, Gwyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny Abby--I can picture it all!

    ReplyDelete