"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Monday 10 December 2012

Missing Uganda...


I don't know whether it was seeing the Africa Children's Choir last week, which didn't make me cry but it did make me feel very nostalgic... or whether it was eating chapatis last night at our neighbour John Itumu's induction as vicar at St Catherines church... or because at the service, we sat with two Ugandan students and several African ladies, who ululated and clapped and carried on like Ugandans do at all the exciting points of the service (while the Brits sat formally and politely)...

But late in the evening, Alex came down looking very sad, and actually cried, for the first time since we left Uganda, saying that he missed Uganda and when could we go back?

And then, I dreamed a long dream about being in Mukono... I dreamed that Abby bartels was showing me round all the new buildings that had gone up since we left, and strangely there was an inlet from the sea at one part of the campus, and huge wild waves were crashing in and splashing high up against the cliffs. It was scary watching them.

And in the dream I clearly, truly felt the hot Ugandan sunshine pouring onto my arms and face, and I stopped and held out my arms and soaked it in, telling Abby that this was what I felt the lack of the most in England... Maybe the duvet was covering my face!

And when I woke up I felt a bit sad and confused for a while, until the new day took over.

This, after a year and a half.


No comments:

Post a Comment