"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Thursday 13 December 2012

The Twelve Days of Christmas


Last year I didn't give much thought to Christmas ahead of time, and it just kind of happened to me.

But this year, I am LOVING the build-up to Christmas. We were given a beautiful Christmas tree and we have decorated it and the whole house. I've already done our Christmas cards, sent off a couple of presents, bought stuff for the children's stockings and for Dan's stocking. We've invited people for a carol-singing evening next Saturday... I've even bought most of the food for Christmas lunch. Now what shall I do?!!

OK I haven't actually done all that much reflecting and repenting yet... maybe I should make some time for that.

We have been given the most lovely gift this year. On 1st December, Alex opened the door to go out and said, "Mum, why's there a chicken outside the door?" "A chicken? A live one?" "No, a plucked one." Sure enough, there was an oven-ready chicken on the doorstep, along with a branch on which were hanging two pears. And a note that said, "On the 1st day of Christmas, my true love gave to me..."

Then every day after that we have been given another gift in keeping with the song. Day two - two bottles of Dove handsoap with turtle pictures stuck on them. Day three - three packs of chicken kiev. Day four - a CD of a four girl band, Little Mix. Day five - a bag with five bars of chocolate in, and the olympic rings stuck on it in gold paper. Day six - six eggs. Day seven - seven boxes of Swan Vesta matches on a blue tissue "pond". Day eight - 8 bars of milk chocolate called "Milka". Day nine - nine narrow white candles with holders. Day ten - ten chocolate frogs. Day eleven - a set of piping nozzles for decorating a cake. Day twelve - we left out a card to say Thank You and Happy Christmas and some cookies in a box - and nothing came!!! Oh no!! Not sure what has happened...!

But the gifts have been so fun, creative, and generous. We have loved it. And, we have no idea who it is all from. We have asked various suspects, but everyone denies it. To me, as well as being so fun, it has been a sign to me of God's love - somebody being so kind and generous to us and not telling us even who they are, just wanting us to feel loved, I guess - and it has done exactly that for me. Whoever you are... Thank You So Much!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment