"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Thursday 10 January 2013

A kindle?!

As you drive into Hay-On-Wye, town of a hundred second-hand and antique book shops, there is a big sign that says "Kindles not allowed in this town."

I had that sign kind of written over my head, book-lover that I am. But... I began to think that maybe, it would be OK to have one... and then I began to feel it would be more than OK, I HAD to have one... and finally for Christmas Dan gave me one, a kindle fire no less.

When I got it working, the first thing I did was to download a Bible onto it - the ESV - to "sanctify" it. Haven't actually read any of that yet. The next thing I did was to download a free game, Puss In Boots Fruit Ninja, so that the children would love me forever.

Since then I have read two books on it: The Hunger Games part 1,which was pretty good and an easy holiday read, and The Picture of Dorian Gray (which was free) and I loved it. Oscar Wilde is such a good writer! I never knew. Abigail is reading Pride and Prejudice on it and is loving it.

I decided that rather than being instead of books, I will still get books out of the library as well. So the kindle just means... even more reading! And I can feel as though I belong in the 21st century into the bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment