"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Food...

I haven't yet said anything about enjoying all the variety and availability of food on offer back in the west (apart from the challenge of buying it from massive supermarkets, one of my early rants.)

I think we have done pretty well at adjusting to the plenty here, without going overboard. Dan and I have been loving the variety of cheeses, and above even that the availability of good chocolate. We do miss Ugandan pineapples, bananas, and watermelons. But we have been relishing cheap tangerines, apples, plums, grapes, and berries when in season.

Living on a limited budget here, so far, has meant that we still eat simply, and don't eat out much. I think we have gone out for pizza twice, and Subway twice... literally.

But I have to confess to yesterday. Yesterday I ate badly... It started with not feeling like eating breakfast, but being hungry on the way to work, so I breakfasted on a Snickers bar bought on the high street near my office. Then a guy brought a tin of candies to work, and with not much encouragement I joined the fray and spent most of the morning popping strawberry creams interspersed with orange creams.... At lunchtime it was someone's birthday so we went out for Pizza Hut buffet (OK, my third pizza restaurant since being here). Later I stopped in to buy supplies for Alex's packed lunches, and on the strength of finding a deal - 24 bags of crisps for the price of 12 -, I treated myself to just one bag when I got home. Then felt the urge, and gave into said urge, to make brownies!

I must have gained about a kilo.

Oh well, so long as I don't make a habit of it. I was really good today, honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment