"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Friday 20 January 2012

Something I learned today...

Today Dan and I were in the car, driving across the Cotswolds to visit my godmother, who is suddenly very ill. In spite of the circumstances, it was also good to have a chance to be going away somewhere together, just the two of us.

But I learned something I should have realised before, about Dan. He is actually immune to stress. I did kind of know that before. But today, I was trying to explain to him why the anxiety feelings I have been getting are unbearable rather than just a nuisance. I compared it to having, nearly all the time, the tingling sensation that shoots through your body when you nearly have a car crash, for example, or when you have a near miss of any kind. I assume most of you know what I mean - that feeling of a sudden rush of adrenalin zooming through your veins, bursting though your chest and along your limbs. Some mornings recently I have been getting that whenever the phone rings, whenever the children told me they were hungry, whenever anything was asked of me. Which is why I am now trying to get it dealt with. But when I described that to Dan he told me that, No, he never gets that feeling. Never. He has never had that burst of tingling through his veins. This explains a lot... No wonder he could stand on top of the bunjee jump at the Jinja Nile Resort, looking around happily and waving his arms over his head - unlike my brother who had his eyes closed and was praying! No wonder he can jump off eighty foot cliffs into a rolling river, and encourage our ten year old son that in a couple of years he can do the same. No wonder he can wait until eleven o clock the night before preaching a sermon to start preparing. He never feels nervous!

I am simply amazed that Dan is being so kind and patient with me when he has NO CLUE how I have been feeling. I mean, he understands, he sympathises, but he has no experience of it himself. Wow. Lucky him. But I do wonder how he is still alive.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your blog Rosie! So refreshing and honest. Laurie is rather like Dan....and I'm more like you...so can appreciate that! Love the photo of Dan at Turtle Bay! Hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete