"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Sunday 5 February 2012

Beginning to forget

Today we caved in and rented the final part of Harry Potter for Abby and Alex to watch this evening...This involved our second trip to Blockbusters! (still surviving here in the UK although closed in the US I hear.)

Blockbusters has cheap movies, - and we are enjoying two weeks of FREE movies as brand new members! - but, when you line up to pay, you have to run the gauntlet of a double row of shelves of Ben and Jerry's, cokes, chips and salsa, chocolate bars, bags of popcorn, more cokes... all at special (hiked up) prices costing an arm and a leg.  In future I shall go there without the children...

Anyway, on the way to the car I asked Abigail what she thought of Blockbusters, and she said "I preferred where we used to go in Uganda." Hmm. And I really had to think. Where did we used to go in Uganda to get movies - other than the Fountains house, that is? It took me quite a few minutes to drag up the memory of the little crowded rental shop in the basement of Garden City, with the friendly Indian guys who never batted an eyelid when I kept movies for two weeks, who never made me pay an annual subscription after the initial one, even though I was there for eight years running... Usually half the movies didn't work when we got them home, because they were pirated, but they always gave me a free replacement...

How could I be forgetting already?

No comments:

Post a Comment