"The Returnee..."

We are in the middle of a roller coaster of transition. We left Uganda on 1st July, and travelled to visit Dan's family in America... Now we arrive in England, where I have not lived since 1992, almost twenty years ago... I left young free and single, and return with an American husband and two children, aged 11 and 9... I hope to describe the experiences of "the Returnee", with, no doubt, flashbacks to our African life, and commentary from my children along the way...

Thursday 2 February 2012

Coooooold!!!

We are finally having to face some winter weather. We have been spoiled so far with a very mild December and January, but now the temperature is dropping.... This morning it was minus 8 Centigrade which is about 17 degrees Fahrenheit. This evening it has warmed up to minus 4 (c 24 F) Brr. I have bought myself a purple bobble hat... very fetching... in fact I feel like an elf in it. Another discovery is that leggings worn under jeans really makes a difference.


The worst part about the frozen mornings is scraping the car...  Means leaving the house five minutes earlier to allow the time for it. Cold flakes of ice flicking up inside your coatsleeves... Stretching across the bonnet to reach the middle of the windscreen... Getting in the car only to have to stop again because it has now fogged up on the inside... Abby and Alex are loving it all, even scraping the car. Jack Frost, which I grew up with often on the inside of my bedroom windows (!) is a novelty to them and they rush to the car every morning to see how it looks today. It is always different, and always pretty, I must agree. Today it looked like pointy starry flowers all over our windowscreen.





I am not especially enjoying being cold! But it is refreshing when the air is really dry and cold, and your breath rushes out of you in clouds.

Abby and Alex are desperately hoping it will snow, and it may yet, but we will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment